To kick off the new decade, Magento Commerce and Magento Open Source 2.3.4 has come into existence to help merchants build more engaging customer experiences that go beyond expectations, keep customers returning, and drive sustained growth.
As per the norm set for quarterly release by the Adobe owned Magento, it has released the latest upgrade of the Magento 2, which is Magento 2.3.4.
The Magento Community, on 29 Jan 2020, tweeted:
New experiences with Page Builder and #PWA studio, integration with #AdobeStock, Chat powered by @dotdigital, and more! Learn about the latest release of #MagentoCommerce here: https://t.co/tajeA7bMqT pic.twitter.com/mwEqRrUur7
— Magento (@magento) January 28, 2020
As per the Release Note of Magento 2.3.4, this version upgrade includes more than 220 functional fixes of the core product and more than 30 enhanced security updates. Further, the community has resolved more than 275 contributions made by its enriching community members including developers and agencies. And that’s not all!
WHAT’S NEW IN MAGENTO 2.3.4?
SUBSTANTIAL SECURITY ENHANCEMENTS
The version upgrade includes more than 30 security enhancements.
- Vulnerabilities like remote code execution and cross-site scripting has primarily been eliminated. The core reason behind fixing these is to prevent attackers from accessing the merchants’ admin panel section. According to the official Magento open source 2.3.4 release notes, all the fixed vulnerabilities of the previous platform have been ported to 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, and 22.214.171.124.
- Content template features have been redesigned so that only white-listed variables can be added to templates.
- To cut down the possibility of remote code execution, layout updates have been reduced and custom layout updates are removed. From now on, merchants cannot specify an entity-specific layout update.
MAJOR PLATFORM UPGRADES
The community has done several upgrades to enhance website security and PCI compliance.
- The message queue framework is enhanced with Magento now supporting the latest release of RabbitMQ V3.8, the third-party technology.
- Tried and tested on the latest stable version of Redis V5.0.6 which means improved page caching and session storage capabilities.
- With this release, the values returned by MariaDB have been normalized which allows system integrators to use declarative schema with both MySQL and MariaDB.
Merchants and customers will experience several performance improvements as a result of these enhancements:
- The major problem of the redundant non-cached requests to the server on catalog pages has been removed by improvising banner cache logic and refactoring the customer section invalidation mechanism.
- A new default setting has been introduced that allows merchants to disable static collecting for report modules.
MERCHANT TOOL ENHANCEMENTS – ADOBE STOCK INTEGRATION
The community has integrated Adobe Stock so that merchants can add high-quality media assets to their websites all from within the Magento admin. This integration with Adobe Stock – unique to Magento – means that merchants can simplify their creative process, streamline their workflow, and create more professional and visually compelling sites.
There is a noteworthy improvement in product storing. With the newly added feature, merchants can now sort product positions in the category by using sorting parameters such as name or stock status.
Further, improvements have also been made in the product carousel where merchants can decide how to showcase the products in their content from the list of pre-defined options in Page builder products content type.
Several enhancements have been made here including:
- Updation and improvement in command for inventory Reservation CLI to lower down the memory usage.
- The cause behind the colossal database load on the server with relation to the shopping cart has been resolved.
- Multiple quality issues associated with grouped products, credit memos, stock mass actions are eliminated.
In addition to the above features, Magento 2.3.4 delivers updates and enhancements across the entire platform:
- PWA Studio 5.0.0: Beyond compatibility with Page Builder, the latest update of PWA Studio includes new tools for getting a new project up and running more quickly. Talons are also here to make it easier to work with Venia UI components. Learn more in the PWA Studio Release Notes.
- GraphQL: Improved GraphQL coverage to better enable the growing number of merchants in taking a headless approach to storefront development. Check out the details here.
- Dotdigital: With the help of live chat powered dotdigital automated marketing platform, merchants can now boost up their sales and conversions to a great extent. All the merchants with Magento 2.3.3 (both commerce and open-source platforms) instance can be connected with a free live agent without being an actual customer of dotdigital.
- Vendor-Developed Extension Enhancements: A meticulous emphasis has been given to extensions developed by third-party vendors. Users will find a significant improvement in UI/UX and the quality of extensions.
So, these were the major enhancements identified by the Magento community. These significant improvements are available with its latest version upgrade i.e. Magento 2.3.4. To know about other fixes, go through the official Magento release note for 2.3.4.
Planing to install and/or upgrade to Magento 2.3.4?
Well, there are several ways to download it. However, before you upgrade to Magento 2.3.4, it is recommended to understand your business requirements meticulously and decide whether you need the enterprise version or the community version. Consulting Magento experts for the same is an added advantage.