You need an ideal programming language to make the most of your development project. Ease of use, scalability, and optimum performance are key features when choosing the best programming language. PHP and Python have emerged as the preferable languages for smooth web development. However, which one should you choose?
PHP vs Python has become the dilemma when choosing the best programming language. While PHP powers 77% of all websites, Python is used by 48% of developers worldwide as of 2022. Both are potential languages for web development.
However, one will supersede the other based on specific business requirements. PHP Vs Python – this article discusses which of the two is the best for developing web apps.
What is PHP?
The term PHP stands for Hypertext Pre-processor and is an open-source server-side scripting language. It is an ideal programming language choice for building dynamic websites and apps. The primary benefit of using PHP is that it is compatible with all the major operating systems and platforms.
Unlike most other programming languages, PHP has a straightforward learning curve. Not-technical users find it easier to pick up this programming language for web management. The scripting language comes with regular updates that are focussed on performance and security improvements. The latest version of the language is PHP 8.2.4 which came with several new features.
What is Python?
Python is an open-source, high-level object-oriented coding language. It provides developers with built-in data structures combined with dynamic typing & binding, modules, packages, and more. Python is the perfect programming language for rapid app development.
The programming language has a syntax similar to the English language and requires fewer lines of code. Its main emphasis is on readability and simplicity, which makes it easier to master the language.
PHP vs Python – Key Differences Between Them
The above table gives quick insights into Python vs PHP. Python beats PHP to develop complex projects requiring artificial intelligence or data science. In contrast, PHP supports more than twenty databases, making creating a large-scale website or app easier. Read further to find more on Python vs PHP.
Features of PHP
- Developers find it easier to use than most other scripting languages
- Offers high-speed performance to the web development project
- Supports a large number of databases, such as MongoDB, MySQL, Oracle, and more
- Free to download and use as it is open source
- Generates error notices with predefined error reporting constants
- Provides login access by creating a concise summary of the recent accesses of the user.
Features of Python
- Syntax similar to the English language
- Much easier to learn and maintain code
- Emphasises code readability with the use of significant indentation
- The same UI runs across multiple platforms
- Integration of low-level modules in the Python interpreter
- Provides automatic garbage collection, interactive debugging, dynamic type checking, and more
- Compatible with Java, C, and C++ programming code
Pros and Cons of PHP Programming Language
The PHP programming language comes with various benefits for web development. Investigating the advantages and disadvantages of PHP for web development helps you make an informed choice.
Pros of PHP:
- It is open-source and is available for zero charges.
- A platform-independent language
- PHP code loads faster even under weak internet connectivity
- Simple and straightforward programming language to use
- Facilitates code reuse which helps in making lightweight web apps
- Comes with powerful library support that helps with data representation
- Built-in database connection modules help with the quick integration of database models
- The PHP community support is solid and active over the internet
- Developers can access multiple resources to ensure that the code is optimized for stability and performance
- Effectively combines with various other programming languages
Cons of PHP
Unsuitable for writing programs for machine learning, artificial intelligence, big data, and others.
- It does not facilitate modifying the core features of the written web development projects.
- The number of tools for debugging the PHP code is limited.
Pros and Cons of Python Programming Language
Here are the pros & cons of one of the most rapidly used programming languages: Python.
Pros of Python:
- Simple, concise, and straightforward syntax
- Its programs are easier to debug
- Contains a useful Integrated Development and Learning Environment (IDLE) that helps the developer master it
- Various built-in and third-party packages make it ideal for multiple projects.
- Python development takes lesser time as it has a simple syntax, various libraries or frameworks, high code reusability, and more.
- Python code is 100% portable and can run on any system that supports it.
- Provides automated memory allocation and garbage collection
- Available for free under an open-source license
- An active and passionate community of developers and contributors worldwide
- The futuristic language supports the latest technology trends like AI, Ml, etc.
Cons of Python:
- It is an interpreted and dynamically-typed language that makes Python apps slower.
- The language suffers from high memory consumption
- Not suitable for mobile app development as it suffers from poor speed performance
PHP vs Python – Detailed Comparison of the Two Languages
By now, you have gained good insights into the two languages. However, for the best decision, you need more insights. A detailed comparison of Python vs PHP will help you.
PHP vs Python – Which one has greater community support?
While both PHP and Python have reliable community support, Python leads. One of the top five programming languages used by global developers is Python. As per Google Trends, the average monthly search for Python language stands at more than 50 as compared to PHP, which stands at around 10. Moreover, hiring python programmers provides rapid development cycles, saving business time and cost.
PHP vs Python – Weighing Global Popularity
PHP vs Python – Developing High-Speed Apps
Python is inherently slower as it is a dynamically-typed language. In contrast, PHP offers reliable speed performance to websites and apps. It’s necessary to have digital solutions with good speed performance, as search engines rank them higher. Notably, faster apps also have a good UX, as web visitors find them more engaging. Hire dedicated PHP developers for web apps that deliver high-speed performance.
PHP vs Python – Availability of Various Web Frameworks
Python has several practical frameworks, including Django, Flask, and Bottle. Developers can use them to write code faster and save time in web development projects. The language also has dedicated frameworks that support AI, Big Data, and others. For example, TensorFlow, Keras, Theano, and others are helpful when using Python for ML and AI.
PHP also comes with several world-class frameworks that help in rapid project development. Laravel, CakePHP, Yii, and Laminas are some of the trending PHP frameworks available for use. So, there’s no conclusive answer on the winner under this category. Both have several useful libraries and frameworks for web and app development projects.
You May Find This Interesting : Top 7 Python Libraries for AI and ML
Over to You
Although both PHP and Python are excellent for web app development, the right choice depends on what you want to create. If you want to create an app that requires high-speed performance and UX, it’s best to go with a PHP development company in India. However, if you want to integrate AI and MKL, you need Python developers onto the project.
Years of Experience
Days of Free Support
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Why PHP is better than Python?
PHP is better than Python regarding speed performance and lesser memory consumption.
Q2. Can PHP replace Python?
You can choose PHP over Python for developing large-scale but simple or mid-level complex projects. However, the project must not require the integration of AI. Python is an object oriented programming language and cannot be replaced by PHP in projects that require AI.
Q3. Which is easier, Python or PHP?
Python is a high level programming language and is easier to learn than PHP as it has a syntax similar to English. It uses indentation enforcements that make the web applications code more readable and quickly managed.
Q4. Which is more powerful, PHP or Python?
Python is a more robust language than PHP. The python language allows developers to use machine learning codes and Unicode support. However, for simple web development projects, PHP is more powerful. PHP as an open source scripting language provides greater capabilities in simple projects involving common web development tasks.
Q.5 What are the limitations of PHP?
PHP fails to work for ML, Data Science, and AI-based projects.